lundi 16 avril 2012

where it's at


Paris of course.  Our little apartment on the Ile St. Louis is the perfect home base.  We have even grown to adore the school children whose exuberance wakes us up every school day morning -- running, playing, yelling in the school courtyard next door. 

I've been meaning to write everyday but obviously haven't.  I will try to catch up a bit here now before heading out for a few hours of exploration. 

We've been really enjoying our pace -- the wonderful thing about renting an apartment and staying longer than the "American 3-5 day stay" is that we can really loll in the mornings if we want/need to (need may be because of late night bottles of wine at St. Regis, a little cafe here on-island that we've made our own or because our legs are tired from the day before...).  Yes we pay more for everything here on the island but our little cafe is a wonderful late night stop after our daily scoops ofBerthillon ice cream and/or sorbet.   So far we've sampled, chocolate, melon, vanilla, strawberry, coconut, cassis, banana, praline pignoli (i know i know). 

With my niece Brittany along, this has truly become a "foodie" vacation  A definite highlight was our Saturday spent with Ute .  Wow -- did she get us going with the ins and outs of eating in the Marais.  She took us to some unbelievable spots that us tourists would have never found.  Ute lives in the Marais and counts Mr. Anthony Bourdain (among many other famous chefs, etc.) as friends.   I will do a separate blog entry about all the secret spots (and some no-so secret but still worth mentioning) in a separate blog.  Just know that if you are a foodie and in Paris a tour (customized) with Ute is well worth every euro spent.  Not only is she beautiful and chic -- this woman REALLY knows her Paris food. 

Yes, we've been to the Louvre and even Sunday Mass at Notre Dame (where we will return on Tuesday night for a Gregorian chant concert).   We tracked down VanGogh's & Picasso's houses in Montemartre.  We've mastered Metro and are envious of how chic everyone here is.... and we've got plenty left to go -- including my Musee d' Orsay.  I must run now because we are getting ready for another few hours in the Latin Quarter and a visit and perhaps poetry reading at Shakespeare & Co.

For now ... À tout à l'heure

3 commentaires:

  1. I love the Ile St. Louis, there is a wonderful place to buy foie gras from a farm in Burgundy....I smuggle it home with me.
    http://www.lapetitescierie.fr/

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. I had a difficult time deciding what was most important to smuggle... thanks for swinging by!

      I have made my reservations for next year on the Ile. That is if I can wait that long -- I might try to get back in September/October for a week. But what I really want to do is look into fractional ownership --I'm smitten!

      Do you know this place?

      http://www.carondebeaumarchais.com/

      Supprimer